Professor Department of Statistical Sciences & Operations Research
DSc George Washington University, Operations Research, 1993-1997 Advisor: Refik Soyer Dissertation Title: "Bayesian Reliability Modeling and Inference using Covariate Information with Applications to Optimal Replacement Strategies".
MA (Oxon) Oxford University, Mathematics and Computation, 1990-1993
Jason Merrick's research is primarily in the area of decision analysis and Bayesian statistics. He has worked on projects ranging from assessing maritime oil transportation and ferry system safety, the environmental health of watersheds and optimal replacement policies for rail tracks and machine tools and received grants from the National Science Foundation, the Federal Aviation Administration, the United States Coast Guard, the American Bureau of Shipping, British Petroleum, Booz Allen Hamilton, and the Makah Tribal Council, amongst others.
- Merrick, J. R. W., van Dorp, J. R., Mazzuchi, T., Harrald, J., Spahn, J. and Grabowski, M. (2002). The Prince William Sound Risk Assessment. Interfaces, Vol. 32, No. 6, pp. 25-40.Merrick, J. R. W., R. Soyer and T. Mazzuchi (2005). Are Maintenance Practices for Railroad Tracks Effective? Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 100, Nos. 469, pp. 17-25.
- "The Court of Appeals of Virginia Uses Integer Programming and Cloud Computing to Schedule Sessions,'' JP Brooks, Interfaces, 2012, 42:544-553.
- Merrick, J. R. W. (2008) Getting the Right Mix of Experts. Decision Analysis, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 43-52.
- Merrick, J. R. W. and McLay, L (2010) A. Is Screening Cargo Containers for Nuclear Threats Worthwhile? Decision Analysis, Vol. 7, Nos. 2.
- Merrick, J. R. W., and Grabowski, M. (2014) Decision Performance and Safety Performance: A Value Focused Thinking Study in the Oil Industry. Decision Analysis, Vol. 11, Nos. 2, pp. 105-116.
Decision Analysis Society
2014 INFORMS Prize for the Teaching of OR/MS Practice.
2012 Distinguished Scholar Award, College of Humanities and Sciences, Virginia Commonwealth University.
2005 Excellence in Scholarship Award, College of Humanities and Sciences, Virginia Commonwealth University.
President-elect of the Decision Analysis Society
Associate Editor at Decision Analysis
Associate Editor at IIE Transactions
Editor at Euro Journal on Decision Processes
Editorial Board member at Risk Analysis