David J Edwards
Professor Department of Statistical Sciences and Operations Research
PhD in Statistics, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
MS in Statistics, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
BS in Mathematics, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
My research focus spans two areas of statistics: design of experiments and reliability data analysis. Of exceptional interest to me are the areas of sequential experimentation and response surface optimization. Experiments are regularly performed by researchers in many diverse fields of study with the common objective of utilizing experimental data to obtain useful information regarding some system, process, organization, etc. under study. Ultimately, my goal is to develop new methodologies/tools that are user-friendly and aid an experimenter in more readily understanding their results for the purposes of model building, process characterization, and quality improvement.
- Edwards, D.J. and Mee, R.W. (2011). “Supersaturated Designs: Are Our Results Significant?” Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 55(9), 2652-2664.
- Edwards, D.J. (2011). “Optimal Semifoldover Plans for Two-Level Orthogonal Designs”. Technometrics, 53(3), 274-284.
- Edwards, D.J. and Kelly, K.D. (2014). “Selecting a D-optimal Follow-Up Design Among Candidate Choices”. Quality Engineering, 26, 233-245.
- Weese, M.L., Smucker, B.J., and Edwards, D.J. (2015). “Searching for Powerful Supersaturated Designs”. Journal of Quality Technology, 47(1), 66-84.
- Brooks, J.P., Edwards, D.J., Harwich, Jr., M.D., Rivera, M.C., Fettweis, J.M., Serrano, M.G., Reris, R.A., Sheth, N.U., Huang, B., Girerd, P.; Jefferson, K.K., Buck, G.A. (2015). “The Truth about Metagenomics: Quantifying and Counteracting Bias in 16S rRNA Studies”. BMC Microbiology, 15:66.
Pi Mu Epsilon, National Mathematics Honor Society
Mu Sigma Rho, National Statistics Honor Society
Phi Beta Kappa, National Honor Society
American Statistical Association (ASA)
American Society for Quality (ASQ)
European Network for Business and Industrial Statistics (ENBIS)
Honors and Professional Activities:
Editorial Review Board, Journal of Quality Technology, January 2012-current
Editorial Review Board, Quality Engineering, February 2013-current
American Statistical Association, Section on Quality and Productivity, Chair-elect, 2014; Chair, 2015; Past-chair, 2016.