Associate Professor Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics
PhD in Mathematics, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 2002-2008
Title: Mathematical Models of Acute Inflammation and a Full Lung Model of Gas Exchange with Inflammatory Stress.
Advisor: Dr G. Bard Ermentrout
B.S in Mathematics with a minor in Asian Studies, Loyola College of Maryland, Baltimore, MD 1998-2002
My research area focuses on the role of inflammation in the wound healing and other diseases. Currently, my main projects focus on inflammation in the lung and role of the inflammatory stage of wound healing. I collaborate with mechanical and biomedical engineering and medicine to develop a multi-scale model for Ventilator-Associated Lung Injury (VALI) which accounts for inflammation triggered by mechanical ventilation. Understanding the interplay between the inflammatory and repair phases of healing is key to determining more effective treatment protocols. In order to research this aspect of wound healing, we are developing an ordinary differential equations model for the accumulation of collagen in a wound with systemic mediators. This work is a collaboration between mathematics, electrical and computer engineering and medicine.
- Reynolds, A., Rubin, J., Clermont, G., Day, J., Yodovotz, Y., Ermentrout, G. B., 2006. A reduced mathematical model of the acute inflammatory response: I. Derivation of the model and analysis of anti-inflammation. J. Theor. Biol. 242, 220-236. doi:10.1016/j.jtbi.20006.02.016
- Reynolds, A. Ermentrout, G. B., Clermont, G, A Mathematical Model of Gas Exchange Under Inflammatory Stress, 2010, J. Theor. Biol. 264 (2), 161-173.
- John W. Cain & Angela M. Reynolds, Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations, an Introduction to Dynamical Systems, VCU Mathematics Textbook Series, 2010
- Segal, R., Diegelmann, R., Ward, K.,Reynolds A., A Differential Equation Model of Collagen Accumulation in a Healing Wound,2012, Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, DOI 10.1007/s11538-012-9751-z.
- Ramana M. Pidaparti, Matthew Burnette, Rebecca L. Heise, Angela Reynolds, Analysis for Stress Environment in the Alveolar Sac Model, J. Biomedical Science and Engineering, 2013, 6, 901-907, http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/jbise.2013.69110
Pi Mu Epsilon- National Mathematics Honors society (PME)
Society of Mathematical Biology (SMB)
Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM)
Beta Beta Beta- National Biology Honors society (Tri Beta)
HONORS and PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
Editorial Board, Letters in Biomath (2014-present).
Reviewer for funding agencies (NIH, Kentucky Science and Engineering Foundation);
Review for journals (JTB, JCRC).